Prior to its construction, monks belonging to the Pauline Order – officially called the Order of Saint Paul the First Hermit, the only monastic order of Hungarian founding –, who lived in the nearby Saint Michael Monastery, used the land around the Mill. Archeological excavations conducted here revealed that this plot of land was most likely used as the cabbage garden of the Monastery. Both the Csörgő Mill and the Castle of Nagyvázsony (aka Kinizsi Castle) were constructed at the same time in the 15th century. Initially, the primary function of the Mill was to help feed the castle guards: the grains were milled and then the flour produced was transported to the Castle, where it was turned into basic food items for the residents. Following the control of the Castle lords, the Mill came to be owned by the Zichy Family. From the 17th century onward millers had to rent the Mill from this noble family until as late as the mid-20th century, when it was nationalized (1951), and eventually shuttered for good in 1963.